05 Jun 2018
For this week’s #ConnectWithContent, we want to address one of the most pressing needs of the modern workplace: a proper health policy.
Being healthy is important. People are paying more and more attention to their health. Mens sana in corpore sano (a healthy mind in a healthy body) has become the key to success. More and more entrepreneurs, managers and self-employed workers realize that a healthy lifestyle goes hand in hand with a healthy business. However, we still have a long way to go.
According to research conducted by Belgian life insurance company NN,
- the working Belgian’s physical age is, on average, 6.1 years older than his/her actual age
- the amount of burn-outs and long-term illnesses is increasing
- 57% of Belgian workers is unhappy with their company’s health policy
In other words, an elaborate, durable and carefully thought out health policy has become fundamental for modern businesses, not just for employers and employees, but for the economy as well. Even small changes can have a major impact on productivity and well-being. In the ‘Gezonderboek’, a health book published by NN (available in Dutch here: http://bitly.com/gezonderboek), several CEOs share what they are doing to move towards a healthier work life. Here’s how our captain Katrien Devos makes the difference:
- “It is important to create an environment that allows people to pursue a healthy lifestyle. Install showers, order weekly fruit baskets, monthly massages,… ”
- “Set goals together: join a race with your colleagues so working out becomes a priority and something to strive for.”
- “Organize active meetings: meetings on location, meetings while boating, running, or walking in nature”.
And Katrien puts her money where her mouth is. Past team-building activities include mud rungs, ski trips, bike trips, jogs, etc. She’s not afraid to engage her team in physical activities. Also, Katrien even got into boxing to raise money and awareness for colon cancer.
Are you happy with your company’s health policy? What is great about it and what can be improved?
Curious about your physical age? Do the test: https://gelukkigebelgen.be/leeftijdsmeter/
HRbuilders is a passionate, visionary , European HR Interim Management leader, currently expanding its presence in the US and Latin America! At HRbuilders we are committed to connecting great HR people, providing you with valuable curated content and helping you as an HR professional to stay ahead of the curve. It is also our mission to shake things up in the in the sector of Human Resources and to look into the new ways of working in game changing companies.